In the first appointment we ask many questions (family history, medical history, symptoms, weight and dieting history, feelings about food and body and your experiences with them, food preferences, like, dislikes, schedules, knowledge, skills) to help you and us begin to develop a picture of where and how food fits in for you and where you would like to be. usually we do not get very specific about a food plan in the first appointment, but we may make some interim suggestions to try before the second session. We may or may not recommend follow-up tests (metabolic rate, body composition, blood tests) to help determine more specifically the amounts, types and timing of foods or other supplements that your body may need.
In subsequent appointments, we can become more specific about what, how much, and when to eat, or what other supplements or approaches may be needed, as well as general strategies and areas of exploration about developing your own eating style, the best match for you.
For people who struggle with food and weight issues, we guide you in discovering how to eat intuitively and how to understand and get to the root of why you run into problems doing what you want to do. Our intent is for you to feel more confident and competent in your approach to eating.
To give you a better idea of how we work and to get you started, you may want to order a copy of Full and Fulfilled: The Science of Eating to Your Soul's Satisfaction, by Nan Allison and Carol Beck. Click here for more information.
-Learn how your body works - general food needs, specific needs for carbohydrates, proteins, fats, volume, density.
- Learn ways the body manifests emotional and energetic blocks in the form of disordered eating and chronic health problems.
- Help with eating well with special food needs and chronic conditions.
- Help with understanding and relieving emotions such as anxiety, stress and depression.
- Help with understanding the issues at the heart of preoccupation with weight and body image.
- Help with understanding healing underlying issues that keep you stuck in unhealthy cycles with food, body image, exercise or movement.
- Learn how food choices, eating patterns, and composition of meals affect metabolic rate and how your body burns fuel.
- Learn how eating certain foods can control appetite and reduce frequency and intensity of sugar binges.
- Learn how to reinterpret "failures" with food as, really, your intuition suggesting a different approach.
- Learn how to balance pleasure, satisfaction and health in your daily food routine.
- Learn how to use food choices and eating patterns to nurture and care for your self.
- Help and support while changing your daily schedule to include a balance of self nurturing and other life responsibilities.
- Help in developing a food plan or strategies, if desired, to achieve health goals.
- Help in identifying supplements and other products that will be good match for your body.
- Help in developing a deeper relationship with yourself and your body.